Monday, November 01, 2004

Bring on the New Obsession!

OK. I've been crocheting since I was 6 years old. For a long time, I've had knit-envy. And for the last three years, I have been trying in vain futility to make my fingers knit. Attempts to teach me (by a very accomplished knitting friend) have only ever resulted in pain, bitterness and severe digit cramping. So, a couple of weeks ago, I was sitting and watching a particularly purile reality TV show (a weakness) and I decided that I should try and make the time at least somewhat productive. "Let the torture begin anew!", said I, as I reached for my beautiful-but-heretofore-useless size 13 bamboos and a skein of cheap-ass yarn. I plodded along, knitting in a way that would make Frankenstein look graceful. But then something happened. It clicked! Continental knitting! It all happened so fast that I don't even know how. It instantly became clear and almost completely natural. EXACTLY like the first time you ride a bike.

Two weeks later, and I've made three scarves, and I can purl and make a cable! I'm about to embark on my first "real" project, a felted bag in Lopi yarn. I will attempt knitting in the round. I will have to do this "decreasing" and "yarn-overing" that I've heard so much about. I feel a sweater can't be far away. Oh, how I've dreamt of that day! I want it to be blue and have one big fat cable running up the front. GOODY GOODY GUMDROPS!

Slowly, it's all starting to make more sense. I have no intention of giving up my crocheting, because I'm really good at it. But I have the feeling that my hooks aren't going to see much action in the coming months. (I actually feel a little guilty about this, like I'm abandoning a friend. I'm an ass.)

I have already been to my local knitting store twice, and I feel the obsession building. I spent a whole hour this morning reading Knitty.com and dreaming of the day I can make some of their stuff.

I really didn't need another hobby, that's for sure, but what can you do? This stuff just happens, I guess. So bring it on! I can knit and crochet and make pottery and play various musical instruments and get all my real work done! I know I can!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home