Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Pittsburgh

Easing myself back into the blogging world... It's a New Year's resolution.

Here's my review of Pittsburgh, Starring Jeff Goldblum, as posted on one the IMDB message boards (in response to "Anyone from Pittsburgh watch this yet?"):

Lifelong Pittsburgher here. I just watched this film and must say, I was extremely disappointed. Very little actual 'Burgh, and the movie itself started to feel like a collection of random kibbles and bits from a cutting room floor. By the end, I was asking my husband if it seemed to him that Jeff got all his buds to join in this production of The Music Man just for the purpose of making this film. It was weird, I tell you.

The Netflix description said that the director was "blurring the line between reality and fiction". I'm a reasonably intelligent person from sound parentage, and I couldn't figure out where the line was. It got so that TRYING to find the line was just plain tedious. I didn't care.

Finally, I like Jeff Goldblum. I do, I guess. Or whatever. The Tall Guy is one of my favorite movies, so that's something. But I REALLY did not want to hear him speak of "elevating the production" one more time. As if Ed Begley Jr. is Pittsburgh's thespian savior. Uh, please. Saving us from our congenital Begleylessness, I guess? The void that only a heapin' helpin' of Begley can fill? Yeah, thanks so much, Ed, for slumming in Pittsburgh. It means the world to us. Pittsburgh theatre is forever altered by all yinz's greatness.

But they did show Kennywood!

6 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

I LOVE Jeff Goldblum---why doesn't he make any good movies anymore?

Keep working on that resolution. I'm ecstatic to see you back.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Elin said...

I agree with your review. I'm a former 'burgher, who spent a few years working in the movie and theater business there (at the Pittsburgh Public Theater). I thought it was a bizarre and disappointing movie.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Sometimes I wonder how it feels to watch movies like this from the point of view of denizens of the area in question ... and then I remember how all southerners are traditionally portrayed as morons in the movies and I think "Oh, yeah. I do know how that feels."

6:10 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

What's wrong Darrell? Didn't have enough moonshine today? Or maybe you broke your favoite corncob pipe at the NASCAR race.

But seriously, you're right. All of us here in the flyover areas are completely misrepresented by the elitist Hollywood machine. They have no idea who we are.

My wish for you is that Jeff Goldblum and his merry band will come and elevate a production for y'all someday. And then make a confusing and condescending movie about it.

6:40 PM  
Blogger The Unseen One said...

I turned this movie off after about 10 minutes.

I can't stand Goldblum. Talk about your serious limited acting range!!!

And on a more important note:
WOOHOOO!!! Kris is blogging again!!!

*nods* This pleases me!

1:22 AM  
Blogger The Unseen One said...

All of us here in the flyover areas are completely misrepresented by the elitist Hollywood machine. They have no idea who we are.

Unfortunately, the country's view of Pittsburgh seems to be limited too old steel mills and that scene in cops when the drunk guy climbs the bridge with his girl friend down below yelling "Johnny, yinz come dahn from der!!! I lub yoooooo!!!"

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home