Friday, December 22, 2006

Last Name Jobs

It has recently come to my attention that I enjoy all crafts that are old enough to have a surname associated with them. I am completely fascinated with this idea, and I am also insane. That is why I feel compelled to list every English last name that refers to a profession. Please let me know if you have any not listed.

Hunter
Fisher
Baker
Cook
Cooper
Chandler
Mason
Smith
Potter
Weaver
Thatcher
Wright
Miller
Farmer
Carpenter
Tailor (Taylor?)
Proctor
Singer
Binder (I actually know someone with this name!)
Wood (?)
Scribner (?)
Archer
Wheeler
Plummer (I doubt this one. My husband came up with it. But that's not why I doubt it.)
Sawyer
Sheppard (Shepherd?)
Butcher (Again, I personally know someone with this name.)
Book (or Booker?)
Glazer (Or Glass, or Glazier)
Cutter
Doctor
Barber

Well, that's all I can think of at this late hour. It seems to me that thre should be something having to do with shoemaking and winemaking, but I can't think of a thing. COBBLER is a dessert, not a surname, right? And, it seems I have my work cut out for me, if I'm going to learn all of these skills.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristine,

Your husband is correct; Melanie "Plummer" is a friend of mine and although p-l-u-m-m-e-r is not p-l-u-m-b-e-r, it's close enough.

You also need to know that what you may consider insanity makes for interesting, informative, intelligent and humorous posts.

I hope you and your husband have a blessed Christmas.

Kathy

8:36 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I have known a family named Cobbler, but Vintner is a stretch. Here we have Boucher, Letailleur, Levesque (which paradoxically means Bishop who shouldn't have progeny)Lesieur, which used to be LeScieur, or Sawyer...I wish mine were Singer. Or Flautist, or Jester.

Thanks for your lovely note; I had all of the things mentioned and a partridge in a pear tree.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Trash Blanc said...

Isn't a cobbler someone who makes shoes?

But mmmmm... peach cobbler sounds good right now!!!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Don't get me started.
Roper
Fryer
Hooker (the boat kind, of course)
Carver
Barker
Reaper
Hatter

I don't know if the professions are where they came from, of course.

If it's genetics, or environmental conditioning, I don't know, but I grew up with a father who collects homonyms, sentences like "She gazed at the pineapple dolefully", words like scotch tape and kleenex, and on, and on........and I have no choice but to rise to the challenge. It starts a little wheel rolling.

Take any name in question and put a John in front of it and google it. It's not definitive if it doesn't show up, or course, but it's a good start.

5:53 AM  
Blogger RC said...

There used to be a lot of people with the last named Gunner and Shooter but they all died.

12:11 AM  
Blogger b13 said...

I know a Weaver... but who am I?

1:52 AM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

No, you don't.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Mark P said...

Mr Fuller used to take the oil out of sheep's fleeces, using a chalky stone in SW England called Fuller's Rock. hence I suppose the cosmetic cream used today to dry out and tighten faces - Fuller's Cream.

8:21 AM  
Blogger rockycat25 said...

I always thought it was weird that my high school gym teacher's name was Mrs. Foules and my home ec teacher was Mrs. Burnes...

2:06 PM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Binder. Rather than booker. A binder puts the book together. I have a friend with this ancestry/ last name

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home