Sunday, January 30, 2005

Fondue

I love cheese fondue. It is one of those weird foods that you never really think to make for yourself, but there's no good reason for it. Over the last few days, I have not been able to stop thinking about fondue. As it happens, my dear friend gave me a fondue pot that she picked up at Goodwill for a buck. At first, I thought, "Yeah, cool and everything, but I know I'll never bother to make fondue. And I sure as hell don't need something else cluttering up my kitchen." But tonight, I decided to give in to my recent obsession, get a little Gruyere and go for it. I scoured many recipes and decided to go with Emeril's classic cheese fondue. I thought it a little heavy on the lemon, but I had a go.

Let me just say that this may be the single most delicious thing to ever pass my lips. It was better than The Melting Pot. Better than The Cheese Cellar. This is the best thing I've ever had. You've gotta make this stuff. The heavy addition of lemon made it absolutely sublime. Nothing like it. I skipped the nutmeg because I'm not a big fan of it, and I added extra garlic. Otherwise, I went for the recipe as written. Now all I have to do is wait a sensible amount of time before I have this again. There are no words. I'm tearing up a little just remembering.

Spring for the damn Gruyere. It's worth every penny.

Emeril's Cheese Fondue

For the record, we dipped French bread cubes and tart apples.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Yum, gruyere cheese is the best, definitely worth every penny. Never heard of kirsch, and I would've questioned all the lemon juice too. I'll be trying this one out.

8:08 AM  
Blogger The Unseen One said...

Huh! Sounds pretty good. Come payday, I'm going to try this out too.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home