Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Tap

Ever since I was but a wee sprout, I have loved to dance. Any kind of dancing is OK by me, and I took lessons for 8 years in my youth, and then even did a little swing dancing in college. I actually got to be pretty good, on pointe and all that. In all that time, I never concentrated much on tap dancing, because then, it seemed like the least sexy of the styles, and I could only do so much. What little girl doesn't want to do ballet? I put it to ya. But I love it and I miss it.

Fast forward to me, now 36 years old. URGH. I am overweight and have never been that big an eater. Diet has never been my problem. Don't get me wrong. I do over-do it once in awhile, and my junk-food levels could use some tweaking, but still. For me it's always been about the exercise.

So, right after Christmas, I was feeling mighty fat and wondering what I could do that I would actually stick with and not hate. I decided dancing was the answer, and so I asked for a pair of tap shoes for my birthday. My mom came through, and I am now the proud owner of a pair of totally sexy tappers. Whenever the guys aren't here working, I put on the swing station on satellite radio and tap through my chores, and it is exhausting, but SO MUCH FUN. I'm totally into it. (I realize this makes me 100% dork, but it's not half as embarrassing as my singing broadway tunes in the shower and car.)

But get this. I cannot, to save my soul, find a studio in my area that gives lessons to adults. I just want some tap lessons, and I know they're out there. There's a big studio in Monroeville that I HEAR gives adult lessons, but they never pick up their phone. One studio right in my neck of the woods actually laughed when I asked. I'm starting to get really pissed off. I'm standing here, tap shoes in hand, cool urban wear ready to go, all Beavis-y, and I can't find lessons! I am completely convinced that I am a total natural (drummers usually are) but I can't find anyone to teach me. I think this is ridiculous.

On a happier note, my b&c and I start ballroom dancing lessons next week, with the other ungracefuls of Murrysville. He's all nervous about it, but I am SO excited. We'll be Fred & Ginger in no time. Well, probably more like Ginger and Snuffaluffagus, but hey, it'll be fun.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Unseen One said...

I think you should publish the name of the place that laughed at you so we can go rain down hellfire destruction upon them and their ilk.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Pip said...

There is nothing dorky about singing broadway tunes in the shower or car.

Just as long as they're not from Oklahoma*shiver*

9:53 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

NH, It was Roger's School of Dance. And Pip, I swear I only sing about the "wind sweepin' down the plain" when I'm chasing a tornado. In my version, though, the "wind comes jammin' down the plain." And it's been fully 10 years since I've even mentioned, in passing, a surrey with fringe on top, or anywhere for that matter..

10:06 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Some place laughed at you? "Look, it's a paying customer willing to shell out the dough to help our business thrive. It's funny!" Idiots. I agree with NH, you should publish the business name.

Kudos to you for taking up this hobby. And for belting out the showtunes.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home