Monday, March 14, 2005

Catharsis

It may very well be that "catharsis" is too strong a word for this post. But I did have an eye-opening, possibly life-changing weekend. OK, now, don't get excited. I've set this up as some kind of major thing, but it isn't, really. Why don't I just stop with the set-up and get on with it?

1) On Friday night, I watched Supersize Me. If you haven't heard of it before, it's the documentary wherein Morgan Spurlock eats nothing but McDonald food for a full month. And I mean NOTHING but. Now, I would certainly expect that anyone who ate this ridiculous diet would suffer resultant health "issues." You know, eventually. What I found to be truly incredible was the speed at which this man's health deteriorated. It was alarming, to say the least. While watching it, I was able to console myself and feel mighty angelic because I haven't eaten a bite of McFood in well over 15 years. But still, I'm overweight. And now I'm afraid of even more food.

2) On Saturday night, some of our friends came over for fondue and games. I made the cheese fondue, and they made chocolate fondue. We played Cranium. Then we got drunk. BIG drunk. We hadn't planned it, but it just started happening. It was the kind of drunk I haven't been in quite a while. I woke up with a world-class hangover on Sunday, and the self-loathing began.

3) I was totally wigging out today with all the details for opening this business. I had been on the phone with the PA Department of Revenue, which, incidentally, makes the IRS looks like a well-run institution. Stress. I made my mom meet me for lunch at Shogun, which is one of those typical Japanese steakhouses. There's something about eating with chopsticks that calms me down. But then, I ate all the rice they gave me.

What it all comes down to is that I am now totally disgusted with excess. I'm the kind of disgusted that makes you actually take action. The last time I hated myself this much, I lost 60 pounds, and liked myself a whole lot more. I don't want any more refined sugar. Less fat. No more white bread or white pasta. I feel a return to my purer vegetarian past coming on. That's when I really ate mostly vegetables. I need to get back to that now, I think, to feel better physically and mentally.

Right now, I'm drinking an organic mango spritzer, and I think that's good. Let the detox begin.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

There is so much good food out there---food that's good for you, but coincidentally, there is also white bread. If I could give up white bread, I'm sure I could lose the 14 pounds I've been agonizing over. Dave makes bread, mostly whole wheat but occasionally white and it's the hardest thing for me to NOT make sandwiches, even though all those other non-bread related foods are truly delicious. Vegetarian is good if you remember to get your protein, but I could live on white bread and raspberries, wine and dark chocolate and never feel the need for anything else. Of course, I'd have to get a new unbent computer chair every couple of weeks. Still, I admire the full-on, hard-press approach, and wish you luck. Lorna

7:09 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Wow, you're really taking on alot of stuff right now. Good for you. Eating healthily is so difficult to do, and it sounds like my eating habits would be several times better if I got to where you are now.

I really admire you. If I were in your shoes (stressing about opening a business) I'd probably be eating nothing but twinkies and washing them down with Fanta.

This is so exciting and I can't wait to see your store! Does your craft blog have examples of some of the stuff you'll be selling?

1:47 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Well, let's see how long this no sugar bit lasts before I gain too much admiration. HA HA I"m gonna try really hard, anyway.

Kelly, my craft blog really doesn't have too much of what I'll be selling. I don't know how this will go. The store will be two parts. One, a gallery of local artists (some of it my own stuff) and the other half will be a place where folks can go to paint their own pottery. I actually expect to make more money on the paint your own pottery part. We'll see. It's all a bit frazzling right now.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home