Sunday, July 02, 2006

Oh, my.

What's Happening in the Motherland?



As some of you know, both sides of my family are primarily of Slovenian extraction. I have been to Slovenia, and it is truly a magnificent place that is most noted for not being Slovakia. But, obviously, something has gone very, very wrong. I give you Anzej Dezan, Slovenia's entry for the 2006 Eurovision competition. A country of vineyards, alps, castles and some of the most spectacular scenery in Europe, not to mention a very tough brand of people, has given the world Mr. Nobody. I've gotta get back there and find out what's gone wrong.

4 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

Three words come to mind: "Gay Ninja Pirate."

That's not indicative of the way ALL singers are marketed in your homeland, right?

I realize now that my ignorant idea of what everyone looks like in that part of the area is WAY off base.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Sadly, no, you cannot purchase it on iTunes. You'll have to content yourself with watching it here every day.

And Darrell, your picture is much more like it, but that is Slovakia and not Slovenia.

As for all singers being marketed that way, I don't know. I thought they just did that way in France, but the whole European Union thing must be making everybody all Frenchy-like. I just hate to see it happen to my salt-of-the-earth Slavic people. Maybe it's just that whole Eurovision phenomenon. Euro-dance tracks and macho guys are not things that really go hand-in-hand.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Make it stop! Make it stop! Oh the humanity!

And I thought it was the Slovakians who were nasal?

11:22 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

You know, Lorna, I could live with the voice, but those costumes, and those RIDICULOUS expressions he pulls!!!! This is not even to mention how much the song itself sucks.

But what scares me most is that I have watched/listened at least ten times, and I know all the words now. I can't look away. I can't look away.

Anzej, what kind of freakish hold do you have on me? Anzej, please, let me live my life!

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home