Monday, March 21, 2005

Lorna

I just got home from a day of much errand-running. I was tired, grumpy, and my head full of garbage regarding the vast seas of bidnis paperwork ahead of me still. I stopped at my mailbox, and saw that it was bursting at its seams with a big puffy package. Lo, the lovely Lorna of Lorna in Wonderland had sent me a package. Owing to our similar tastes, she has sent me two books: A.S. Byatt's Little Black Book of Stories, and a bonus, Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials - Book 1 - The Golden Compass. I've never seen these Pullman books, but I must admit, this one looks to be right up my proverbial alley.

Right now, I am reading Candyfreak by Steve Almond, and I need to finish that for my book club. Then it's A.S. Byatt, all the way.

Lorna, you are both generous and wise, and a damned fine person to boot. I will report back to you with a review of each book. I will then send them on their merry way. I have just the person in mind, too. Thank you so much!

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

How kind! I bet that was fantastic to see a present waiting for you, especially after having a hectic day.

I read Candyfreak a few months ago. Thought it was great, even though I thought the author was a total spaz. All those different candies he described -- mmm-mmm! And he hit the nail right on the head about coconut, the texture is just like fingernail clippings. Foul!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Bless Canada Post---I'm glad you got the parcel. I had never heard of Candyfreak but spent about an hour reading the reviews on Amazon.com. I've had a dark KitKat and a Mars bar, and I used to live excusively on the dark Zeros, but don't know any of the other candies mentioned in the reviews, and I'm only 80 kilometres north of the border!

11:19 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Lorna, that's just wrong. We need to get you some yankee doodle candy ASAP.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

This morning, when I went out to breakfast with my daughters, I put on a necklace that I really like---a round buddha face. When I came home, there were two more in my mail. The iridescent blue/gold faces are exactly like my silver pendant. The fish, which I opened first, are amazing---delicate and whimsical. I am so delighted. Thank you---I didn't intend to make a trade when I first wrote you, but it turned out to be a great idea. I'm going to a dance performance at the National Arts Centre tonight, and I'm going to wear the faces. You're very generous. Thanks.

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home