Friday, July 21, 2006

MCFAT!!!!

Well, Holy Crap, look who's doing a MCFAT! I often read these and think about my answers, but rarely post them. Usually, they require more emotional introspection than this Aquarian is willing to put out. Or else they have comic book stuff about which I know nothing. But this one was too juicy to pass up, so here I go. I can, in no way, be as thorough as Darrell. But I'll give it the old half-assed Willow Crossing try.

1) Friends and family often offer advice or share experiences with the best of intentions, sometimes with the opposite of the desired effect. What are some of your more memorable “you're not helping...” moments?

My mom, who is, in all other respects, an irrepraochably wonderful woman whom I adore, finds herself incapable of NOT telling me, every time I see her, that she does not like what I'm wearing or that I don't look quite right. I could be having a GREAT day: feeling good, enjoying a Starbucks, having just returned from buying an ambitious book at Barnes and Noble, when I meet my mom for lunch. I get a small wave and that "look-over." The look-over is unmistakable. It's that eye motion that tells me that she's feeling disapproval. "What?" say I, knowing the inevitable is to come.

"Nothing," says my mom in a way that is intentionally unconvincing.

"OK, come on, what?" I ask.

"I swear, it's nothing... oh well, that skirt makes you look extremely heavy. It's just not attractive. It's the way it's stretched out. "

Thanks, mom. Thanks. My day is now shot all to hell.

"Mom, please. I'm fine with it. Can we just eat?" (Of course, at this point, I'm no longer fine with it, and feel like I have to hide myself from the entire world until I put on something decent. Shit. 15 minutes ago, I LOVED this skirt! It has some sparkly beads! My top matches! Now I can't even enjoy lunch, because absolutely everyone in the restaurant is looking at me and commenting about how I shouldn't eat this or that, and "Look how fat she looks in that skirt. Is that her mom? Her mom should HELP her avoid these fashion disasters! Wow, that apple fell far from the tree!" They're all saying that. I know it! Judging me. I feel compelled to pull out the wildly scholarly book I just bought and point it out to them, Mr. Bean-style. They don't care. Why would they while I'm wearing this skirt? I don't even deserve to be here, among the good-skirt people.)

Mom adds, helpfully... "Yeah, just forget I said anything. Why do you listen to me anyway?"

"OK. Good. Now let's find a topic other that the way I look."

"Fine. But you could really use some lipstick."

****SIGH****

It's hard to keep up with a mom who does her hair and puts on complete makeup just to get the mail. And no, I'm not exaggerating even slightly.

2) You enjoy this actor's work, but many people just don't get it. Who is it?

Oh, Gary Oldman. If only you would NOTICE me. I alone understand you. I alone know that all you want is a comfy chair and some juice and cookies. You don't have to be SO intense all the time. It's OK. You don't HAVE to morph into Reverend Dimmesdale, Beethoven, Sirius Black, or Doctor Smith. With me, you can just be YOU. I get it. I'll even forgive you for naming your child Gilligan. Or Gulliver. Or whatever. Just come over. I'll make you a nice dinner and we can sit and watch The Discovery Channel and not get drunk.

3) In general, when it comes to movies, are originals better than remakes, or vice versa? Feel free to cite examples that support either or both positions.

Hmmmm.....

I'm giving only one example. Pride and Prejudice has been made OVER AND OVER again, and for me only one version holds up AT ALL, and it is the 1995 Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle BBC version. It's the only one long enough to fully flesh out the book. It's the only one with an acceptable sort of Elizabeth Bennett. And, without doubt, it has the sexiest (only sexy) Fitzwilliam Darcy. It's also the only one with a truly funny Mr. Collins, a truly crazy Mrs. Bennet, and a truly smarmy Mr. Wickham. It leaves all others in the dust. And no amount of cinematography , no matter how fantastic, will convince me otherwise.

So, in this case, the middle child was best.

But I lied. I have another example. The Japanese Shall We Dance vs. its American remake starring The Repulsives (Richard Gere and Susan Sarandon). OK, the original was FAR superior in both form and function. In Japan, a man taking dancing lessons is truly shocking. I've seen Gere dance before. Not shocking. Also, not pleasant. I've also seen him "act" in the craptastic First Knight, which means I'll never be able to take him seriously, ever, ever, ever. Let's face it, he's no Dimitry. (swoon). And Susan Sarandon is too worldly, too indignant, and just too un-Japanese to make this thing work. One point for the original.

4) If it were scientifically possible to live on any other planet in our solar system, through the development of faster-than-light travel and genetic enhancements or protective suits, which planet would you choose to live on?

I would choose to live on Uranus, and not for its comedic value. It just seems to have such a pretty color, and it is the ruling planet of Aquarius. So presumably, I would feel at home there. I would, of course, have to stock up on L.L. Bean Cold Weather Gear, though.

5) Who would win in a war: Hobbits or Smurfs?

Hobbits, hands down. I think Smurfs are way smaller, and they are also really kinda gay.

SPECIAL BONUS QUESTION: The year is 1985; who is Flora?

Not sure, but I did have a flower stuffed animal named "Floribunda." So I'll go with that.

Thanks, MCF!

12 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

Oh, the mother thing! I have a daughter that does that to me...I spend the rest of the day regretting my sparkly beaded skirt and matching top. Then I come home and look at the pictures of her when she was 12 and had teal eyeliner. Revenge is sweet.

Glad you joined in the fun!

2:08 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Ha! My mom wore a gigantic beehive. Revenge! But not so much. My problem is, she made that grotesque hairdo look fantastic. I'm screwed.

2:58 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

You bet I am, Wendy! That's a never-miss show for me. I'm also rooting for Benji, but I think, of the girls, I just hafta love Donylle best. Heidi is awesome, though!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

I don't get the "So You Think I Care If You Can Dance" show. Wendy watches it. Wendy actually gives a crap about it. Must be a chick thing.

I'm also a huge Oldman fan, but you left out all my favorite performances of his. Dracula, Sid Vicious, Lee Harvey Oswald... but my absolute favorite performance by Oldman, and one that far too few people have seen, is his role as a corrupt cop named Jack in the AMAZING and underseen Romeo Is Bleeding. This Frank Miller-esque film features Oldman's best and most heartbreaking anti-hero performance. If you haven't seen it, go BUY IT today. Don't rent it. BUY IT. If you don't LOVE IT, write to me and I'll refund your purchase price. It is THAT GOOD.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I am actually quite proud to say that I have seen every film Gary Oldman has ever been in except for one, and it is Basquiat. Brilliant as he was (he always is) in Romeo is Bleeding, it's just not my kind of movie, nor is Sid and Nancy. I just don't like anything that could be termed "disturbing." I'll watch them once, but not buy them. I don't want to see people die bloody deaths, live in abandoned buildings, or shoot up drugs.

If you want to see a very-seldom-seen one, try Prick Up Your Ears. But if Brokeback Mountain was too much for you, this is one to avoid, if you know what I mean. Unless you, for whatever reason, WANT to see Gary Oldman making out with Alfred Molina. Yeah. That's what I said.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

And to think I might not have come back and read more comments! Ahhhh, life is good!

7:38 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Unless you, for whatever reason, WANT to see Gary Oldman making out with Alfred Molina. Yeah.

Well, I mean, come ON! Who wouldn't want to see Gary Oldman making out with Alfred Molina. I remember all the way through Spider-Man 2, thinking "If only Doc Ock would stop the carnage long enough to have a tender, passionate moment of intimacy with Gary Oldman, this movie would be perfect."

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like Romeo is Bleeding. I feel safe saying that you didn't like/wouldn't like Sin City, either. The best thing about Romeo is Bleeding is that it has a very Frank Miller like quality, which is a wonderful thing for us Miller fans. Ebert trashed the film in his review, which only goes to prove that at least half the time Ebert sleeps through the movies he reviews. Anyway, I'm glad you didn't buy it now that I know you didn't care for it. Nonetheless, if that scene wherein Oldman's character is sending his wife away for her own protection didn't bring tears to your eyes.... well, I just dunno. ;)

8:50 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

You're right, Darrell. I HATED Sin City! It's not that I couldn't appreciate it, it just made me feel all icky. Real icky. I stopped about 1/3 of the way through.

9:10 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

The movie is called "Prick up your Ears" and has Doc Ock making out with Commissioner Gordon. I'm definitely leaving that one alone; as it is the title conjures an uncomforatble scene from the first Scary Movie. I did see and love Romeo is Bleeding though, back when Darrell listed Lena "Irina Derevko" Olin as a Femme Fatale in a Blog Party. Great flick if you like that sort of thing, and I do.

I can't beleive your mom actually said extremely with the emphasis, like "heavy" wouldn't be bad enough. When I had a gut I used to get "when's the baby due?" from my mom all the time, and I'm a DUDE. That's bad. Check out Spanglish if you haven't already to see Tea Leoni personify the worst of that kind of parental behavior.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

I can't beleive your mom actually said extremely with the emphasis

A while back during the news on SNL Tina Fey read a story along these lines: "Scientists have debuted a new patch that relieves depression... simply remove the backing and apply it directly over your mother's mouth."

8:36 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Oh, she says it often,in a passive-aggressive way. And I feelcompelled to believe her.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Kristine, I wanted to include you in a recent e-mail, but I no longer have your address---if you're OK with that, send me a note at Lorna_cr@hotmail.com

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home