Tuesday, November 09, 2004

One State, Two State, Red State, Blue State

For some time, my mom has tried to convince me that I would be happier somewhere far away from Pittsburgh. I have to wonder if that's not true. I complain incessantly about Pennsylvania's semi-crumbling infrastructure, stupid liquor laws, and the lack of many really good places to eat. OK, sure, we've got plenty of good Italian restaurants, but not too many creative places. I have always wished for land, lots of land, under starry skies above. (Don't fence me in!) I wish for newer STUFF in general. Pittsburgh has a way of being deeply depressing in the winter, and I'm dreading this one.

Riding in the car the other day, mom said, "I think I should move to a red state. They have better weather, and I'm sick of it around here. You and your husband should move, too."

"Hmmm," thought I.

Then tonight, I stumble across a picture like this:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040223.html

I have obligations that keep me here, but I think I would move otherwise. There are things about the good ol' Burgh that I would miss, big time: The Steelers, and my reasonably close proximity to the Outer Banks of NC. I would miss the green, lush Appalachians, and the chlorophyll smell of spring. I would miss ferns and camp and my friends.

But I sure as hell wouldn't miss my neighbors, or constant road construction, or slush, or ice.

I have to wonder if I'm not a Westerner at heart. I do so love wearing my cowboy hat, and lemme tell you, it gets stares comments in conformist Pittsburgh.

What to do...


3 Comments:

Blogger The Unseen One said...

Been there, done that. I lasted five years "out west" before I longed for the comfort of home. It was a needless upheaval of my life. I actually started missing the winter. So much so that I am looking forward to my third winter here. Yes, I swore I would NEVER want to see another snow flake again, but oh, how I missed it. I could go on and on, but these are things one must find out on their own.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Gunnella said...

Wide open spaces AND a variety of cosmopolitan choices..? When you find that place tell me. Lived in samll village (900 people) for four years so I had the wide open spaces and the large apartment and total security for the kids BUT the only restaurant was a hamburger serving gasoline station ;-) no pubs, no cinema, one mini video rental... and I was the only geek for miles.... ;-)

3:09 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Hey, Gunnella, I notice that we have eerily the same tastes in movies, and some music. Queen - Only the greatest band of all time, bar none. Cool!

I appreciate your point! You and Name Hidden have educated me. I think the kind of place for me would be a college town. I even liked it better in Morgantown, West (by God) Virginia. Easy to find wide open spaces just outside of town, and a plethora of good restaurants and theatre in town.

So I revise my theory. I should move to a college town. Too bad I really can't.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home