Monday, April 11, 2005

Books!

I have been utterly consumed with work for the last week, and I haven't bothered to post a thing. I thought I'd take a moment, or ten, this morning to write a little before I begin my daily dose of frantic wall-bouncing and phone-calling and bank-visiting. Here are a couple of things I've read lately, and my reactions thereto.

1. Candyfreak : By Steve Almond
I admit, I am not a candy freak, so when this book was thrust upon me by the well-meaning members of my book club, I was a touch annoyed. I felt that was simply too much to read about candy. What I didn't realize is that this guy is funny. Yes, he waxes political in inappropriate places, he becomes wistful about his childhood, but not enough for us to care, really, and he possesses what a dear friend of mine calls a "sometimes self-conscious" writing style. But you know what? All is forgiven, because he's funny. It's true about me that if you make me laugh, I'm yours forever, and this guy did. But I do not exaggerate when I tell you that my teeth actually hurt through much of the book. So much candy. One book club member took it upon herself to find every regional candy bar mentioned in the book (ah, the wonders of cyberspace) and bring them to the meeting. I haven't experienced a sugarhigh like that, well, ever. It got so crazy that one member, a certifiably insane germ-a-phobe, took candy out of my mouth and ate it. That's what sugar in high doses can do to girls. I take no responsibility for, nor do I remember, anything else I did that night. When we formed a ladies' book club, "rowdy" was not an adjective we expected to be used to describe it. So, thank you, Steve Almond, you big sugar-pusher. I'll bet he's hanging around a schoolyard right now, offering the first Goo Goo Cluster for free.

2. The PIRATES! In an Adventure with Scientists : By Gideon Defoe
A very short and ridiculous read, but worth twice its weight in gold doubloons. Several jokes in this book have been sticking with me for days, and I laugh every time I think about them. There's no describing it, really. A group of pirates mistake Darwin's Beagle for a treasure ship in The Galapagos and attack it. They become friends, eat ham, and go on an adventure. Look, just read it. "Trust me on this one," said the pirate with a severe nut allergy.

Oh, man. Blogger's spell checker just told me to replace "Candyfreak" with "Sandbars." Anybody got a clue about THAT one?

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Candyfreak -- I can't even imagine not liking candy and ready that book. It'd be like me reading a book about yams. Ick. But, you're right, a good author can make anything interesting.

That second book sounds hilarious! I'm going to check it out.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I do like candy, but not at his level. Something is wrong with that boy. ha ha ha

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home