Friday, August 19, 2005

I love ya, DA BURGH.

I have commented on other blogs, and I admit that I do get miffed when I hear Pittsburghers complain about Pittsburgh. I often think that if all of the people who complained about it would half as much energy into improving it, it would be a much nicer place. I'm not saying I don't have issues with it as well. So, first, the good news:

Pittsburgh has all of the cultural benefits of a bigger city: great theatre, a world class symphony, an opera, and a ballet. If you do not choose to take advantage of these opportunities, that is not the city's fault. Theatre seats can be had for a song, if you know how to go about it. For a city of our size, I would say we have quite a nice selection of productions and venues. For myself, I like The Public and PICT (Pittsburgh Irish and Classical Theatre). I also subscribe to Symphony with a Splash. It's super-cheap, the programs have really cool themes (works by certifiably insane composers, music about weather) and they give you a spread of pre-show snacks that amounts to dinner. It's one of the best entertainment deals going.

We have three major league sports teams. The Steelers. Need I say more? If you've never been to a Steeler game on a crisp fall day, if you've never smelled the barbecue wafting out of Gate A of Heinz Field, if you've never warmed up in The Great Hall and made fun of Bob Pompeani behind his back, if you've never tried to call your friend across the stadium, thinking for a minute you might really be able to wave to her, if you've never tailgated next to a drunk guy named "Stush" who kept trying to kiss you, and if you've never been there when the Steelers take the field to a deafening crowd roar, then my friend, you've never BEEN to Pittsburgh. I don't want to hear it. I don't care whether you like football or not. This is not about football.

Now, in spite of all of these big-city perks, we suffer few of the big-city ailments. Our crime rate is relatively low and the traffic, while annoying, is not as bad as that of larger cities. And because we are smaller, and a little bit behind the trendy, opportunity abounds. Every fresh idea is eaten up by the younger (and younger-at-heart) folks around here. I'm now making my living off of this little fact. When there are many voids, YOU have the chance to fill them.

The stuffy, pretentious art world in Pittsburgh is less stuffy than in other cities. A young artist here will have a far better chance of getting a showing than in other places. And, even if you, dear reader, think this is minor, the busy galleries in town and the artists do not.

Even if you live in the far west part of the city, you need only to drive for an hour to reach the Laurel Highlands. Ligonier, Somerset, Mount Davis, Linn Run, Ohiopyle. These are beautiful places for picnics, camping, or autumn foliage drives. There are wineries to visit, apple cider to sip, and caves to explore. What more do you want?

Here's a fact that many native Pittsburghers don't even know: You know those fish sandwiches you get at firehalls and local bars? The ones bigger than your head? Guess what. That's ONLY in Pittsburgh. Next time you are in another city, order a fish sandwich and see what you get.

Take all of that, add in some pretty friendly locals, some nifty ethnic nieghborhoods, and a very unique dialect, so thick that you could use it as "code speak" in other towns, and you've got a burgh.

As if all of that wasn't enough, I have a few more words for you:

Mineo's Pizza
Mad Mex
East End Food Co-Op
Carnegie Museum
Dinosaur Exhibit!
The view when you exit the Fort Pitt Tunnel
The game of "Spot the Wiseguy."
Eide's Records and Comic Books
The Church Brew Works
Penn Brewery
Carnegie Library System (so efficient!)
Three Rivers Arts Festival

Now that I'm tired of typing, I'll let the oversimplification begin. What's wrong with Pittsburgh? Two words: Tom Murphy. How did he get there? How did he get elected again? Is it his personal mission to make Pittsburgh as inhospitable and uncomfortable for businesses and commuters as he possibly can? Get him and his cronies the hell out of here, and we may just have a chance.

A lot of what else is bad has more to do with the state "government" than the local. I have much to say on this, and a big, impossible plan to do something about it. As I've said before, you're all coming with me. But that's for another post, another day.

In the meantime, I do love ya, da Burgh!

11 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

I've kept my horizons much too narrow.......

3:47 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

You've sure hit the nail on the head! I really love this city, and if it wasn't for our stupid politicians it would be perfect!

I've never been to a Steelers game. :( I have this impression that tickets are very hard to come by.

And now I've got some more stuff to check out, since I'm not familiar with everything on your list ...

5:29 PM  
Blogger Rhodester said...

Come the day that I've won the lottery and buy that motorhome and travel the nation- expect a visit.

9:07 PM  
Blogger The Drake said...

Eh, I think claiming 3 'major' league sports teams is overstating it by at least 1. The Penguins have aspirations, considering the sucked bad enough to get the top draft pick this year, and the Pirates? Please, they MIGHT be able to compete in AAA.

But the Stillers? Hell yeah! Although I have serious doubts about Cowher's ability to win the big one. But we shall see.

Overall, I agree with your points. I have not made much use of our cultural offerings, having spent the better part of my adult life supporting children and ex-wives, but I know that we've got some fine art in Da 'Burgh.

You are undoubtedly right about the politics, especially on the state level, since I was raised and live in Beaver County, which also has been seriously left hanging by the sneaking, lying, 2 am raise-giving likes of Dem
Whip Mike Veon. This man showed up at my door in 1983 stumping for his first term without a clue, and it appears he has yet to find one.

This could be such a great place, with the rivers, mountains and hearts that beat in the valleys.

But alas, greed and stupidity seem to run things around here.

8:10 AM  
Blogger The Unseen One said...

They also have a pretty good Renaissance Fair here every year. Also, the Renaissance & Baroque society puts on about a concert every month (http://www.rbsp.org/), and there are both Scottish and Irish festivals, along with many other nationalities as well.

Plus with the heavily ethnic churches in the area, you can always be sure there will be at least one really good food festival per month, be it Polish, Greek (my favorite), Hungarian, Italian, German... you name it, there is a festival.

It is also nice to have all four seasons again.

On the down side, the tech market around here isn't nearly as robust as other areas (few tech jobs and many universities), a heavy union mentality, Yinzers, substandard Christian radio, crappy roads, Democrats, low paying jobs, and the biggest inflow of money that Pittsburgh has is Social Security checks.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Lorna and Dave, I'll keep the light on for ya!

Kelly, that's the kind of optimism we need around here. There's always more to learn and more to love about this place.

Drake, you know I can't talk about Cowher without getting violent. LOL Cowher Power!

I dunno, NH. I've never quite found it in my heart to see YINZERS as a bad thing. I rather like them, and I come from a long line of them. And the roads, you know as well as I, are a STATE issue and coming up in a near-future rant.

And yeah, we've got low-paying jobs, and also one of the lowest costs of living among major US cities.

10:03 AM  
Blogger The Unseen One said...

I realize that Yinzers are the Pittsburgh "rednecks", and every area has a group like them. They can be interesting, but they can also be annoying, especially from my perspective. And yes, I also come from a long line of Yinzers... well, I was adopted into a family that came from Yinzers.

Indeed, roads are largely a state issue. I heard someone once say it was because of the weather. But isn't it interesting that the "weather" always ends at the state line?

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kris, you should send that into the Post or Trib. Excellent points and I agree with them all.
Super Jeans

2:26 PM  
Blogger The Yeti said...

My entire issue with the Burg is that it doesn't seem to realize that the 25-45 year olds are the ones that they should be trying to keep in the city.

Business doesn't want to move in, which means little to no jobs, which means people leave.

TWo good friends of mine just left the area. One had graduated from Penn State and had been looking for a job for 2 years. He could find NOTHING computer related. He moved to Boston and had a programming job in 2 weeks.

Being 30 I've seen this over and over, people who want to stay moving because they can't find work. Which is a shame, because this area has alot to offer to young people.

Not to mention finding a date in this town is near impossible.. but that's a different rant.

Oh.. and as for the Steelers? Ick. Give me a night a PNC park or a game at the Igloo over that any day! =D

12:10 PM  
Blogger holly_44109 said...

i'm from cleveland and totally get what you're talking about. fyi - i love to visit pittsburgh.

anyways, we're visiting the laurel highlands next weekend. first stop is latrobe brewing co. then heading to our b&b in connellsville. any suggestions on where to eat there?

thanks!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Pastor Scott Stiegemeyer said...

I agree that Pittsburghers sometimes have an inferiority complex. I've lived in several different cities in different states and Pgh is a great place to be. I have a few gripes too, but no place is perfect.

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home