Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Ad Hell

Yesterday, I left my mom alone with my computer here at work for awhile. She is a bit naive of the garbage that can come through the 'net, and she inadvertantly downloaded some garbage adware. This adware was is so sneaky that I was unable to delete it via three separate anti-ad and spy packages. When I sought it out throught the add/remove programs function, I clicked to remove it. When I did so, I got a message box that told me that if I wanted to remove this shit, I had to go to their website and download MORE of their software. I don't think so, bub.

So thank you SO MUCH "ABetterInternet" for giving me the opportunity to bet on horses, play poker online and whatever the hell else you've offered me.

Kind readers, if you've got some time to spare and feel inclined to help me out here, visit these sites and keep sending them inane messages, or offer them the chance to buy something from you. I've had it to here with this crap and am desperate for a little revenge. I can't singlehandedly take down the IRS, as I would like, but I can send mean messages to these spammers and, at the very least, annoy them a little.

Here is the letter I just wrote them:

No words of tongue or pen are adamant enough to express your level of sucking. I leave my mother alone with my computer for one day and I am infected with your insidious garbage. What took her five minutes to accidentally download will take me hours to remove. I will consequently lose hours of valuable business time trying to fix this. I hope that all of you at the alleged "A Better Internet" get infected with a motherboard-burner of a virus. And I hope you all get flat tires in a rainstorm, and end up with a serious case of the sniffles. Kindly bite me. I'm blogging this as soon as my computer starts working again. You may read it at citizenwillow.blogspot.com.

Sleep on this, examine your conscience, and then consider seeking valid employment. You've ruined my day.


You may visit them at

http://www.mypctuneup.com/contacts.php

http://www.abetterinternet.com/contacts.html

BetterInternet, Inc.
107 Grand Street
3rd Floor
New York, NY 10013

5 Comments:

Blogger The Unseen One said...

Send them a bill for the time you are going to have to spend removing it. When they don't pay, tack on a monthly "rebilling" fee of $25.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Bastards! That's a great letter you wrote up. I've been infected twice in the past year, and after I waste 1/2 day trying to get rid of it, I just keep thinking "How on earth does this crap help their businesses?" I suppose there are unsuspecting people out there who will buy their crap to get rid of the problem they caused.

You are totally proactive about it, though. Maybe I'll forward all my junk mail to the address you provided. But I'm too yella to do anything electronically. Then they may be able to track me down and send some spyware. NO!!!

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Willow Crossing:

I do some work for Direct Revenue, parent company of A Better Internet. I saw your Blog (which is very well done, by the way) and wanted to offer a comment. DR's uninstall device called MyPCTuneUp actually works incredibly well. It completely removes DR's adware and makes sure your machine never gets it again. It doesn't install anything on your pc. Even the company's critics generally agree that it works. If you are still having trouble, you might want to give it a try. The website is www.mypctuneup.com. It takes about 3 steps to complete the process.
Good luck.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Hank,

I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond here. But you must realize that I should not have to go through the steps of uninstalling something that was unwelcome adware to begin with. Being put in this situation does little to make me enthusiastic about the products ABetterInternet is flinging at me.

For the record, I did, in fact, run the uninstall program. It has taken care of the problem, for the most part. I am still left with occasional popup offers for online poker, and I continue to seethe.

But I do thank you for your response. I will release you, and you only, from my "flat tire in rainstorm" curse. Everybody else still gets it.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Just got caught up, and felt like I'd missed a subtext that was driving the tips for picking up chicks.

I remember reading some tips just like them when I used to read my first husband's magazines so that I would know what he was looking for in a woman. Little did I know that he really was hoping I`d die and leave him a big insurance cheque to gamble with. Oh, live and learn.

I've put your consumer's letter in my documents file in case soemthing similar happens to me. In fact, now I'm hoping that something will. It's too good to not use.

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home