Friday, July 22, 2005

Beach

There really are no words to express my excitement right now. Tomorrow morning, at five am, I leave for the Outer Banks of North Carolina, not to return for two weeks. The Outer Banks is one of my official "Five Favorite Places on Earth" and I can't wait to remember what it feels like to relax. Back to the same room I've been staying in for 15 years, back to sitting on the porch knitting or going out looking for cool places to sit and paint with watercolors. Back to seashell hunting and attempting and failing (miserably) to use a sea kayak. Shopping for pottery in the little town of Manteo, eating crab dip, and getting an ill-advised tan. All that is a mere 28 hours away from right now.

If you would like to see exactly where I'll be for the next two weeks, click the links below:

Where I'll be staying: http://www.thecavaliermotel.com/Oceanview.html
Where I'll be eating: http://www.mamakwans.com
Where I'll be fishing: http://www.avalonpier.com
My day trip for next Friday: http://www.ocracoke-nc.com/

Anyway, I'll be taking the laptop, and hopefully finding some good hotspots. Hopefully I won't have any hurricanes to blog about this year. I got my fill of that last year.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Hey, a well deserved vacation! I hope you have a great time. The outerbanks are such a cool place, and I especially like Ocracoke. Did you ever go through the Blackbeard museum? Loved that place!

Post lots of pics while you're there, k?

1:08 PM  
Blogger The Unseen One said...

WOOHOO!!! Have a blast, Kris!
Post some pictures of the big giant chair if you get a chance!!! :D

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH YOUR KILLING ME! I hope you guys have a great time, and think of me. This has been a hell week knowing you guys are going and I am not. Please eat my favorite things and drink enough wine for the both of us. No hurricane Alex this year. Be careful....
Deb

3:52 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

That's awesome. I went camping in Assateague and went the the beaches at Chincoteague with my friends back in college--no idea if that's in the same area but it was definitely one of my better vacation. Smooth sands and a sky where you could actually see the stars--definitely not NY. Good stuff.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

It sounds and looks amazing, and of course, with all you've been up to this past year (she said suggestively and mysteriously, with no reason whatsoever), it's well-deserved. Actually, even if you don't deserve it, enjoy it. Post lots of photos so I can show Dave. We need inspiration for a holiday in a place we've never been, and where we have no family.

12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristine, I know exactly how you feel. I was 35 when I saw the ocean for the first time. There was just something about standing on the shore, gazing out into the expanse of water and hearing the roar of the waves that was simply overwhelming (and still is)and before I knew it, tears were welling up in my eyes.

At night I would stand on the shoreline, looking out into the darkness and think about explorers coming to those very same shores for the first time. This line of thought naturally lead me to wonder about pirates. I mention that because I've read the postings on your blog and have seen you mention pirates a time or two :) Since I am the mother of a young woman who also has a pirate fixation, (Kelly, have you told Kristine about your most recent purchase?) I normally spend a fair amount of time thinking about the dangers of those times and sunken treasure and how many "bad guys" walked exactly where I am walking and the like.

If you have never read it, may I recommend "Gift From The Sea" by Anne Morrow Lindbergh? I can't imagine that you haven't read it; but if not, I think you would love it...and on vaction near the sea is the perfect place to read it.

Also, isn't it wonderful to go back to the same place you've stayed for 15 years? It's great to feel that you're "home" as soon as you get there.

Have a wonderful vacation and come back refreshed.

I'm looking forward to August 6.

Kathy

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home