Thursday, June 30, 2005

Moore

When I heard that there was a documentary going around entitled Michael Moore Hates America, I thought it certainly had to be a joke. When I saw that it had been given two thumbs up by Ebert and Roeper, I thought I was most certainly being taken in. But guess what. It's true. This film does exist, and I watched it a few nights ago. As far as I know, it is still available only to buy from the official website or to rent from Netflix, but it is well worth it.

In it, filmmaker Michael Wilson turns all Moore on Moore, and exposes his way-less-than-ethical filmmaking methods, his dramatic setups in the name of documentary, and his profound dislike of his country. It is funny and touching. It is well-made. It makes Moore look like the repulsive, dirty, lying, hypocritical narcissist that he really is.

The best thing about this film, I think, is that it does not deeply attack Michael Moore's politics, and it is, in fact, a film that is quite tolerant of differing political views. No, this film focuses primarily on Moore's ethics, and therefore becomes a very effective expose of the man's character.

I highly recommend this film, unless you are really clinging to some hope that Moore is a valid documentarian, or to some delusion that he actually speaks for working-class Americans. Michael Moore speaks only for himself, and not very well at that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

I don't know that I want to own it, but I'd like to see this movie. I'll have to go to our eclectic movie store and start agitating.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Thanks so much for bringing this up. I heard about it months ago (maybe from this blog, even!) and wanted to buy it when available. Now I find out I can get it from Netflix! Woohoo! It's going to the top of the queue .....

12:59 PM  
Blogger The Unseen One said...

Moore made #1 on Bernard Goldberg's list of "100 People Who Are Screwing Up America."

Personally, I have to disagree. Moore made absolutely no difference in the election, except to energize the right. AAAAH HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home