Thursday, August 25, 2005

Sony

This was going to be a comment on Kelly's Tech Support post, but it was too long, so I made it a post on my own blog.

I once fried my hard drive. I called Sony support, as I was still under full warranty. I'll never forget this one. The conversation went like this:

ME: Well, I seem to have fried my hard drive.

GEEK: (chuckling) Now, let's not jump to conclusions! First, is the computer plugged in?

ME: Yeah, um, listen, I'm pretty well versed in computer stuff, so I, no offense, think we can dispense with all of the idiot questions. I can tell it's the drive because it is making a horrible noise when it attempts to read and write. (thinking: much like you, I imagine.)

GEEK: (as if I'd never spoken) Now, let's turn the computer on and see what happens.

ME: OK, I know what will happen. It will sound like a wookie in a meat grinder, and will do nothing.

GEEK: Let's try turning on the computer now.

ME: (defeated) OK.

GEEK: Have you turned it on?

ME: Yes. It's making a wookie noise, as I've said, and the screen is the monitor's default screen. It says "no signal."

GEEK: Hmmmm. OK, then let's go to the Control Panel. Go to the START button on the lower..

ME: No, we cannot. See, the computer will not boot. Look, I'm not trying to be rude, but can we step away from the script now and have a conversation?

GEEK: So the computer will not boot? Not at all? What are you seeing on the screen?

ME: No, it will not. The screen says, "No signal." That's the monitor talking. You see, the monitor is waiting for something from the computer. Something the computer just can't give it. Ever have that feeling?

GEEK: Let's turn off the computer now.

ME: Did already.

GEEK: It sounds to me like your hard drive may be down.

ME: (now at John Cleese-level deadpan) Really. What tipped you off?

GEEK: Now, I'm checking our stock. We have those backordered right now and it will be six to eight weeks, but we'll get a replacement out to you. A service rep will call you when we have the part. Let's get your serial number so we can get the process started. Look on the back of your computer...

ME: No, I'm sorry, I will not. How is it, how, that a computer company could be backordered on hard drives? This seems incomprehensible to me. I mean, you guys like MAKE computers. Computers which will not work without this essential component. Six weeks, nay six hours is too long for you guys to be out of hard drives. What, I ask you, am I supposed to do for six to eight weeks without a computer?

GEEK: Please calm down. There's nothing I can do until you give me your serial number. Let's look at the back of the computer...

ME: No. NO. Let me speak with your manager.

GEEK: He will tell you the same thing that I am...

ME: OK. Let me tell you how this is going to happen. I'm going to disconnect my computer right now and take it to Best Buy, where I purchased it. I will have them put in a new hard drive today and bill Sony.

GEEK: I'm afraid that's not the way your service plan works.

ME: Starting today, it does. Trust me.

GEEK: Well good luck, and your incident number is 654-143647-M

ME: M? As in moron?

GEEK: Yes, M as in Mary.

ME: Thank you. You've been a tremendous help.

GEEK: Thank you for calling Sony.

Cut to Best Buy. I am standing at the counter, peering into the smug, dead eyes of one of their technicians.

ME: (speaking as quickly as possible to make sure I get it all out) So, here's the thing. I've fried my hard drive. I KNOW for certain that it is fried because the computer will not boot. When it tries to boot, it makes this sound: Booooorrrrrrrrhpppp! boooooorrrrrrrhpppp! The Sony dude agreed that it was a dead hard drive. I want a new one put in under the terms of my warranty. Sony is backordered, and so they have violated the contract into which we entered, together. They cannot hold up their end of the bargain by sending a service guy to my house within 48 hours. Therefore, I need you to do this for me. I have brought the machine to you. Please replace the hard drive, and bill Sony for it. Here's my receipt.

BB GUY: (plugs it in and puts ear to case) That's a fried hard drive alright. (looks at my receipt) We have this problem with Sony sometimes. Give us four hours?

ME: Yes. Four hours. I love you, you know.

BB GUY: Yeah, I get that alot.

14 Comments:

Blogger The Unseen One said...

Its pretty sad when Best Buy makes a company look bad.

Mental note: Never buy ANYTHING from Sony.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Tell me about it. I usually hate Best Buy, but in that instance, they rocked.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I love stories with happy endings! Where did I put my hanky?

I wish I could observe these people in their everyday lives. Do you think they're this deficient in every aspect? Surely, they must be.

As far as technical chain stores go, in my experience, Best Buy is sadly the best. And I hate to admit it, but sometimes I like the runins I get into at Best Buy. Dave came with me when I bought my iPod, and it went down like this. I would ask the salesguy questions, then he would turn to Dave and answer my question. EVERY FREAKIN' TIME! But I was having an "on" day and the verbal barbs were just flying out of my mouth. That actually was a very fun time. I think, given a little more time, I could've made him cry or at least trash the case filled with expensive MP3 players in frustration.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

You think Sony and Best Buy suck? Try getting your money's worth out of Supercuts when one of their stylists has given you the haircut that puts kaput to your dreams of a big thick blond braid down your back...oh, wait, that was me.

8:46 PM  
Blogger The Unseen One said...

Lorna, I have ranted on my blog many a time about supercuts. ;)

9:13 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Believe it or not, it sounds like you've had better luck with Best Buy than I have. I go there for their price and selection, but 9 times out of 10, the staff is brain-dead. I might as well go out front and have a lengthy conversation with the waste basket as try to talk to one of those kids.

4:59 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

I love Best Buy. It always lives up to it's name and it's my favorite place to spend my lunch hour when the weather is crummy. My friends and I practically live there and show up for "new release Tuesday" on a regular basis. I can't really comment on the customer service though. I usually know what I want when I go there(or know what I want when I see it). Although. when my parents bought a new television there I had no problem understanding the salesman--but they did. I explained to them what he was saying; it was like I was a geek/normal person translator. =)

I usually avoid salespeople--I'd rather do the research myself, check out epinions reviews, talk to friends, etc, than either look stupid or end up buying the wrong thing. I hated the Wiz when they were still in business in NY. The salespeople must have gotten commisions because they were "may I help you" sharks smelling monetary blood in the water...

9:02 PM  
Blogger Rhodester said...

I was once on the phone with a 12 year old girl who worked in tech support for the DSL company that we had just signed up with. After having installed the software they'd sent us, we couldn't get the modem to work, so I had called them.

The 12 year old girl said, "you need software".

I told her I had just received the software, and had just installed it. I had even uninstalled it, and then reinstalled it.

"you need software"

I told her ONE MORE TIME that I HAD software, etc..

"you need software"

My wife shouted, "HANG UP ON HER!!"

I did.

Somehow, about an hour later, we got it working. I haven't called a tech support since.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Funny & frustrating exchange. I'm glad you held your own!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

In case you were planning to hit and run, I would appreciate if you at least READ the response to your last presumptious comment over at NH.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

*sigh*

Jeanne, I've read every last comment. I have nothing more to say to you.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Hello. Hellooo? Heeelllloooooo???

Anybody blogging around here? ;)

4:29 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Darrell! Darrell, don't let that door close! We've been trapped in this comments section for nearly two months! Man, good thing you came along....=)

9:01 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Hello? Happy Thanksgiving!

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home