Friday, November 12, 2004

Citizen Willow Proclaimeth...

An e-conversation with Name Hidden yesterday made me realize just how high-maintenance I am when it comes to food. Picky? Oh, you bet. Not only am I a vegetarian, but also, a foodie. Besides the customary lack of vegetarian options on a menu (pasta primavera just ain't cuttin' it, folks!), there are other offenses that drop a restaurant out of my favor. So far, I have only visited a FEW restaurants which do not violate my rigorous set of standards. Here are the only Pittsburgh area restaurants that pass muster and qualify as great:

The Church Brew Works (The Burgh's #1 food in my book!)
P.F. Chang's China Bistro
Mad Mex
Bravo (They squeaked by because of their indescribably delicious tomato bisque.)
DeNunzio's
Red Star (Greensburg - NOT Station Square! That's a different animal altogether!)
Penn Brewery
Kaya
The Grand Concourse (When I wanna cheat and eat fishies)
Mitchell's Fish Market (ditto the fishies)
Udipi Cafe (Sooooo very veggie!)
Maggie's Mercantile (Donegal, PA)

Now, I realize that I may have missed some, but these are the only ones that come to mind. I have not yet visited Casbah, Soba Lounge, Eleven and a few others that I suspect may have potential to make my list.

Excellent quick lunch options. Not great, but reliable and good:

Baja Fresh
Panera
El Campesino (Monroeville)
Au Bon Pain

Best Pizza:

Mineo's
Napoli

Scraping the bottom of the proverbial barrel:

King's Family Restaurants
Denny's
TGI Friday's (do they strive to make everything taste like a dumpster buffet?)
Applebee's
Damon's
McDonald's
Burger King



6 Comments:

Blogger The Unseen One said...

The Chruch Brew Works... You actually LIKE that place? BLEH!!!! I was completely unimpressed the one time I was there.

Right down the road there is an oriental place that has excellent food. I think it is called Tokyo Habachi... I don't remember, but it is across the street from Foodland in Bloomfield. Only place where I ever thought their vegetable filler in their food was better than the meat.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I doesn't happen often, but in this matter, I must proclaim you as WRONG. ha ha ha The Church, like the Pope, is infallible. Oh, except when they host those Kerry fundraisers. Ouchy Ouchy Ouch.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I should have said, "...like the Pope and Bill Cowher." Sorry, Coach.

3:06 PM  
Blogger The Unseen One said...

Now, had you said "You should give it another shot" I would have said "Oh, alright. Maybe it was an off day or I ordered something that just isn't that good".

But NO!!! You had the say the "W" word! And now, the antagonist inside me is screaming to DESTROY the Church Brew Works for serving mediocre swill! Stop them from serving the 5 gallon rusty cans of "lots-o-veggies", pilfered from the dumpster at Aldi's! And to stop the unwarranted slaughter of the neighborhood stray dogs for their burgers and meatloaf! "Mon-on-the-rocks" strained through rotting Hops and Barley! Bread made from the scrapings at the bottom of the vats, served to the ignorant plebes as they sit in awe, stunned, with their oh-so-high-brow discussions of "'Ey, yinz ever had dat dere beer cooked up in a church dere, n'at? Dis is sump'n else!"

I can say this since I am not Catholic, having rejected the teachings of Cathol, and therefore don't believe that the Pope is infallible!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Hey! Don't be so touchy! I said it didn't happen often! Mostly, you know I think you're right. And SAY, remember how you got all mad at me for telling you that you were wrong in high school? Face it, NH, when I use the "W" word, I'm usually right on target. ha ha ha ha

Wrong. Wrongity, wrongiity, wrong, wrong. Wrongolicious! Wrongerific! Wrongtacular!

Wow, that word starts to sound funny after you say it too often. Like "corn" or "purple".

4:02 PM  
Blogger The Unseen One said...

Bah! Highschool was before I had "the enlightenment" of having to actually support myself.

Now, I am older and wiser! If I don't know something, I no longer "fake it". I defer to your knowledge on issues of wine, swashbuckling, and Japanese game shows, but if you were to look upon me, you would know that I TRUELY KNOW MY FOOD!!! BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

I hereby proclaim Church Brew Works as....
AVERAGE!
;)

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home