Saturday, November 13, 2004

Screw You, Nutra-Sweet!

Yep, it's another food rant. Here's the thing: I am wickedly allergic to all forms of artificial sweetener. I know this seems crazy, and believe me, I thought I was crazy, but it happens to be true. This ain't your ordninary allergy, either. I don't just get hives; I get anxiety attacks and heart palpitations. Not fun. For the longest time, I was convinced there was something wrong with my heart, but no. I had been dealing with this for quite some time, while ignorantly drinking a gallon of iced tea per day infused with these space-age polymers. Then, one day, I was reading a book called The pH Miracle when I read it: ALL artificial sweeteners can cause headaches, anxiety attacks, and heart palpitations. I nearly cried from the revelation. I stopped ingesting that shit immediately, and have been careful to avoid it wherever it may hide. It took about two weeks, but my symptoms disappeared, and now I know.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you that in this day of low-carb everything, the supermarket feels like a minefield.

But this is my point: These sweeteners have so many different names now, and I never can tell one from another. I keep accidentally buying gum with aspartame in it. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what is sweetening this new Slim Fast Optima, and they never answer my emails. I'm sick as hell of this and I firmly believe that all artifical sweeteners should be clearly marked, if not on the front of the package, then at least in the ingredients list. Damn you, fake sugar!

Me under the influence of evil fakesweet:



Me now:


2 Comments:

Blogger The Unseen One said...

I drink WAY too much Diet Pepsi. Hm. This may call for an experiment...

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristine from Penn., you sound too cool, LOve the cool folks. My son deals with all the problems you describe plus mental irraticates. Been a MAJOR battle now for years. 6 to be exact. He was 17 when it all began, he was 18 when I figured out what it was. I did the "Junior High School Science fair Hypothisis and testing to confirm my beliefs. It was amazing. Now I tell others, anyone and EVERYONE, even when they don't want to listen. The statement I hate worst ir "I'm gonna die from something, so I don't care. Ok fine, they "think" its not effecting them. It effects everyone, somehow, someway. My son is just VERY VISIBLE, to me and others who know him... those who think its not effecting them, I tell rat poison does the trick faster.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home