Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Map!

In a typically lovely post, Lorna wrote recently that she was innocent and naive about certain things, especially when it comes to real estate. I must confess that there is a certain aspect of my own innocence and naivete that I have yet to lose. I spent a better than average part of childhood in the backseat of a green Pontiac Catalina, with no air conditioning. This is because my parents drove across the country every year to visit friends in Albequerque and Las Vegas. We'd go for a whole month and visit every landmark along the way. To me, this was as good as life could possibly get, and I was endlessly fascinated with things like Mount Rushmore, The Grand Canyon, slot machines, and the World's Largest Ball of Twine. My backseat "toy" of choice was always a map, so that I could follow along as we drove. In my younger years, I had one of those kids' maps, that had fun little pictures in all the states. You know what I'm talking about. Pennsylvania would have a little coal miner and a Liberty Bell. Idaho would have trees and a potato. Texas would have oilwells and cowboys and tumbleweeds. You know.

Because of these maps (thanks to them, more like) I have a mild but persistent case of romanticizing places. Even now, at the age of 36, I am a little dissappointed when I cross the border into Kentucky and the grass is not blue. I get a touch deflated whenever I enter Florida and don't immediately see an orange grove. I am always dissappointed now, when I travel, because as time goes on, places get more and more alike. Every town seems to have a Wal-Mart, a Chili's and a McDonald's. Damnit. When I enter Arizona, I want to see cacti and a derelict Gulf station with a vaguely creepy and very dirty attendant. Not Wal-Mart. When I enter Georgia, I lament the peculiar lack of abundant peaches and magnolias in my immediate view, but I perk up when I see the red mud. When I enter Texas, I want to see cowboys EVERYWHERE. (Of course, I want that all the time, but still, I'm just saying.) I don't want to see the same damn things that are in my own back yard. I guess the bottom line is that I wish for a world that's just a little Disneyfied, in that everything looks exactly like you expect it to. I don't know if I'll ever get over that.

And even now, I own at least 15 atlases, and a conservative estimate of the size of my road map hoard would be 150. I have road maps for places I'll likely never drive. I can tell you how to get anywhere in the country. I even know what roads are best for getting from London to Devon. And what's even weirder is that I keep a change of clothes, toothpaste and shampoo in my car at all times, as well as a cooler. I think that at any moment, I may decide to discover the bayou-living voodoo woman who will meet me at the border with juju as soon as I get to Louisiana. I think I'm a flight risk.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

I love the mental picture of you, hoarding road maps and planning trips to exotic or well-known places, especially the bit about having your toothbrush ready. Innocence reborn is the best. I've been away, but will pick up your gauntlet later in the day. Glad things are going better at the store.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home